Incrementum Amoris 
Sources and parallels
References, across this site, to this page:
IconclassLove has carved an inscription in a tree; a girl is looking at it, holding her hand on her heart
- trees [25G3]
- kneeling figure [31A233]
- hand on the heart [31A25162]
- sitting on the ground - AA - female human figure [31AA2351]
- carving heart and initials in an object, e.g. a tree trunk (+ variant) [33C224(+0)]
- tools, aids, implements ~ crafts and industries: knife [47D8(KNIFE)]
- inscription [49L8]
- Growth (+ emblematical representation of concept) [51H5(+4)]
- Slowness, Tardiness; 'Tardité' (Ripa) (+ emblematical representation of concept) [51MM11(+4)]
- (personifications and symbolic representations of) Love; 'Amore (secondo Seneca)' (Ripa) (+ emblematical representation of concept) [56F2(+4)]
- proverbs, sayings, etc. (with TEXT) [86(AMOR SENSI CRESCIT?)]
- proverbs, sayings, etc. (with TEXT) [86(INCREMENTUM AMORIS)]
'Medium sol aureus orbem', cf. 'medium sol igneus orbem' Verg. Georg. IV, 426.
'cæpit', i.e. 'cœpit'.
'monogromata' is a mistake in the original for 'monochromata'.
'Jonah's gourd': the story of the gourd in Jonah 4:6.
'cui' ('To whom'): refers to 'pietas'.
'to wear her hair loose', traditional allusion to a woman's having intercourse.